Skip to main content

my eyes don't feel the same

Funny thing happened to me today.  Well, I guess it started yesterday and I just didn't know it.

My right eye was spasming all day yesterday.  The eye lid and below the eye were going crazy.  I didn't think too much of it other than how strange it was.  I knew my right eye felt a little different but didn't know why.

Anyway, this morning I wake up and blink a couple times.  They don't feel the same.  Hmmm.  Why is this?  I looked normal in the mirror and Kevin didn't notice anything.  We carried on with the day.

Kevin had a Father's Day cup of coffee and enjoyed playing with a remote control car Nola wanted him to have ;)  We relaxed around the house until it was time to get ready and go over to Opa and Oma's.  We went out for lunch with them and my parents to Glenn's.  This is when I noticed a real difference.  I tried to eat a hamburger and it proved a little more difficult than I thought.  My mouth was not cooperating.  Now I know this might provide you with a funny image of ketchup running down my chin and my not noticing.  Well, it wasn't quite like that.  It just felt...different.

I expressed my concern to Kevin and my parents; we all agreed it should be checked.  When I got home I talked to Health Link who promptly told me to make my way to the hospital.

Thanks to our wonderful neighbour, Kevin stayed with the comatose Nola while Candace took me up to Emerg.  In the 3.5 hours I spent there I had a Cat Scan and X-ray to determine it wasn't a stroke, three pokes to find one vain, a pee test, blood work and a diagnosis--Bell's Palsy.

The awesomely nice doctor had me do a variety of highly skilled tests, such as close my eyes as tight as possible, raise my eyebrows and pucker my lips (not all at the same time).  Yup, Bell's Palsy.  A virus I caught somewhere in the wild blue yonder left the nerves behind my ears to die and make the muscles on the right side of my face weak.  In 6 to 7 weeks I'll be back to normal, as this is usually how long it takes for the nerves to regrow (with the aide of some strong steroids and antivirals).

I will go to work tomorrow.  I understand we are only given as much as God feels we can handle.  I know I can handle this, not to mention the Lupus and Antiphospholipid Antibody Syndrome and all that entails.  I am strong and capable.  I would rather be the one to handle this than watch any one person I know deal with these things.  I choose not to ask: why me?

Why NOT me?

I ♥ them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Last Time You Said My Name

The last time you said my name was yesterday. I had no idea that would be the last time I heard you say Jeanette... It seems surreal to have already lost one of our parents. This evening, my husbands mother Suzanne, died of cancer. We found out she was sick on April 20th. She went to the hospital for what seemed to be gallbladder issues only to discover there was more. Suzanne chose to go home and process the information. She decided not to pursue treatment. 69 days later we have lost her. She was 67. As I have participated in this dying process, there have been many emotions. So many memories and thoughts surface. Suzanne and I didn't get along very well and that isn't a secret. We were very different women connected to a man we love(d) dearly. Although we had difficulty relating and often times irritated and annoyed each other, I am amazed at how it can all melt away at the end. The fights, misunderstandings, and even anger, is softened. Not forgotten, but the heart is

Calgary Visit @ 27 weeks

I think it's going to be a hold-your-breath kind of week. Baby girls heart beat was at about 53 today.  55 is the danger zone cut off.  It kind of stumped Kevin and I.  The ultrasound tech was super nice and, of course, they don't really know what sort of news they're giving us when they tell us the heart rate.  They don't know why we're there, but we went a little quiet when she said.  I wasn't really expecting that. Today Kevin and I decided to get a disc of pictures of our sweetheart.  She was having a party today while they were trying to take pictures, wiggling and bouncing. She's about 2 1/4 pounds. Her feet measure about 5.4 cm. So with the lower rate, the pediatric cardiologist (the amazing Dr. Fruitman) came into the room immediately to have a look for herself and we had the consult right away.  She asked me how things had been and I told her about this past week.  I took a hard fall on the ice with Nola in my arms and suffered a terrib

Hard to say/show thank-you

It never ceases to amaze (and hurt) me just how difficult it is for people to say "thank-you". I realize it is the Age of Entitlement and everyday etiquette/courtesies are nearly unheard of, but I for one am getting sick of it.  And if you're close to me, you know I've been getting sick of it for quite some time! I have an uncanny ability to remember people's birthdays.  I don't find it hard to write it on the calendar I look at all the time.  I don't find it hard to snag a card while I'm on one of my quick shopping tours.  It's even easier to stick a stamp on it considering I keep a roll in the drawer, and there is a mail box on nearly every corner. I work hard to remember everyone with a Christmas card.  I don't find it too much to sit down for one hour and sign a bunch of cards with a little good will showing the people in my life that I think they're important and I wish the best for them. Funny enough, it doesn't come back