Skip to main content

Family Roadtrip to see the Seattle Grandpaw

On June 2 Kevin and I loaded up the Flex with suitcases, the stoller, the playpen, the cooler, the blankie and beloved "Kitty" (Nola's prized stuffed cat) to make our 3rd annual trip to Seattle.

Sarge went to spend time on our friends acreage while we were gone for the week.  They have chickens, and I was relieved to hear he left them completely alone.  He also did well with his stitches, since he was still recovering from his surgery.  (Thanks Shannon :)

We knew we wouldn't do the trip in one day.  We decided to go as far as 3 Valley Gap the first day, and make the rest of it the next.  The weather was beautiful and Nola did alright...not great, but alright.  I mean, she's 16 months old.  How did we think she was going to do?  2 hours seemed to be her limit and then she'd let us know to pull over promptly so she could run away from us. *sigh*

We made it to Seattle Friday evening just in time for supper.  We checked in to the Best Western and Kevin ran out for our FAVOURITE food; Chipotle.  For this trip we rented a suite to ensure Nola would have more room to burn off steam; this turned out to be a good idea.

Saturday morning we headed over to Merrill Gardens to see Grandpaw Stogs.  Last November he moved from his home into the seniors complex.  It's an awesome place with lots of people and lots to do.  The food is good too.  An awesome surprise was also waiting for us, a package from Aunt Sally the Great full of super-cute clothes for her super-cute grandniece.  Thank you! 

We had a great visit and Nola got tonnes of "oohs" and "ahhs" from a number of the elderly folks.  Shortly before lunch we left with plans to return around supper time to meet up with some Aunts and Uncles and go out for supper.

That late afternoon we met with Kevin's Uncle Steve, Aunt Kathy, Uncle Jim, Aunt Katelyn and cousin Rebecca.  Grandpaw had decided on the restaurant we were to go to, a large buffet (The Old Country Kitchen) with a selection I have NEVER before seen!  Unbelieveable, and good.

After supper, Grandpaw went back to his place and the family came to the hotel and visited for a while longer.  It was so nice to see them and catch up on things.

The next day, Sunday, cousin Donna came to our hotel and we headed out for a fun filled day at Pike Place Market and downtown Seattle.  We did lots of shopping and walking and laughing.  Nola managed to throw in a few major meltdowns, the most notable one on the beach at Edmonds.  She couldn't possibly understand why I wouldn't let her walk directly into the ocean...hmm.

On Monday we galivanted to the outlet mall and did some amazing shopping.  Nola also had her first enjoyable ride on a Woody Woodpecker airplane.

Tuesday morning we loaded up and drove to Sandpoint Idaho where we stayed at a great hotel on the beach of a big beautiful lake.  Nice and relaxing before we drove the few hours to Cranbrook to visit and stay the night with Uncle Rick and Aunt Paula.

They have a beautiful home and are such gracious hosts.  We enjoyed a great visit with them and were lucky enough to spend time with cousin Lynn and Steve and their kids Mason and Callie.  So cute!  After we raided their home and ate their food we set the course for home.

Just as everyone understands, it was great to go and great to come home.  There was much relief for all four of us (yes, Sarge too) to lay in our own beds in our own home.


Lunch at Canmore.

Being good in the car.

Fabulous weather at 3 Valley Gap.

Making herself comfortable at Grandpaw's.

Grandpaw's rooster keeping watch.

Grandpaw and Kevin.

Loving the slide.

Wanting more.

Hee hee.

Drivin'.

Mommy and Nola.

Jeanette, Kevin, Grandpaw, Uncle Steve and Aunt Kathy.

Rebecca and Uncle Steve.

Rebecca and Aunt Kathy.

Cousin Rebecca, Aunt Katelyn and Uncle Jim.

Pike Place Market.  Love it!

First enjoyed ride.  Now we're in trouble...

Oooo, music!

New skirt from Aunt Sally.

Peek-a-boo in the car.

The view at Sandpoint.

Piggybackin'.

Awesome playground!


Lovin' the swings!


~♥~



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Last Time You Said My Name

The last time you said my name was yesterday. I had no idea that would be the last time I heard you say Jeanette... It seems surreal to have already lost one of our parents. This evening, my husbands mother Suzanne, died of cancer. We found out she was sick on April 20th. She went to the hospital for what seemed to be gallbladder issues only to discover there was more. Suzanne chose to go home and process the information. She decided not to pursue treatment. 69 days later we have lost her. She was 67. As I have participated in this dying process, there have been many emotions. So many memories and thoughts surface. Suzanne and I didn't get along very well and that isn't a secret. We were very different women connected to a man we love(d) dearly. Although we had difficulty relating and often times irritated and annoyed each other, I am amazed at how it can all melt away at the end. The fights, misunderstandings, and even anger, is softened. Not forgotten, but the heart is

Calgary Visit @ 27 weeks

I think it's going to be a hold-your-breath kind of week. Baby girls heart beat was at about 53 today.  55 is the danger zone cut off.  It kind of stumped Kevin and I.  The ultrasound tech was super nice and, of course, they don't really know what sort of news they're giving us when they tell us the heart rate.  They don't know why we're there, but we went a little quiet when she said.  I wasn't really expecting that. Today Kevin and I decided to get a disc of pictures of our sweetheart.  She was having a party today while they were trying to take pictures, wiggling and bouncing. She's about 2 1/4 pounds. Her feet measure about 5.4 cm. So with the lower rate, the pediatric cardiologist (the amazing Dr. Fruitman) came into the room immediately to have a look for herself and we had the consult right away.  She asked me how things had been and I told her about this past week.  I took a hard fall on the ice with Nola in my arms and suffered a terrib

Hard to say/show thank-you

It never ceases to amaze (and hurt) me just how difficult it is for people to say "thank-you". I realize it is the Age of Entitlement and everyday etiquette/courtesies are nearly unheard of, but I for one am getting sick of it.  And if you're close to me, you know I've been getting sick of it for quite some time! I have an uncanny ability to remember people's birthdays.  I don't find it hard to write it on the calendar I look at all the time.  I don't find it hard to snag a card while I'm on one of my quick shopping tours.  It's even easier to stick a stamp on it considering I keep a roll in the drawer, and there is a mail box on nearly every corner. I work hard to remember everyone with a Christmas card.  I don't find it too much to sit down for one hour and sign a bunch of cards with a little good will showing the people in my life that I think they're important and I wish the best for them. Funny enough, it doesn't come back