Skip to main content

Hard to say/show thank-you

It never ceases to amaze (and hurt) me just how difficult it is for people to say "thank-you".

I realize it is the Age of Entitlement and everyday etiquette/courtesies are nearly unheard of, but I for one am getting sick of it.  And if you're close to me, you know I've been getting sick of it for quite some time!

I have an uncanny ability to remember people's birthdays.  I don't find it hard to write it on the calendar I look at all the time.  I don't find it hard to snag a card while I'm on one of my quick shopping tours.  It's even easier to stick a stamp on it considering I keep a roll in the drawer, and there is a mail box on nearly every corner.

I work hard to remember everyone with a Christmas card.  I don't find it too much to sit down for one hour and sign a bunch of cards with a little good will showing the people in my life that I think they're important and I wish the best for them.

Funny enough, it doesn't come back around.  For years I have done it because I love them and want them to feel special.  However, I'm not remembered by many of these friends and family members and I'm losing my desire to remember them.  I don't get birthday cards from most of the people I send to, and a fraction of the Christmas cards I send are actually reciprocated.

Should this bother me?  Maybe I need to be more black and white and just say, "Forget You".

My conundrum is: when I send a card to someone and NEVER get a response, should I care?  I'm NOT sending them a card in hopes that I'll be thanked for the money inside, or possibly remembered on my day...but it would sure be nice.  And I can't help but wonder, why am I doing this for you when you don't think of me?

Should I just internalize it?  Maybe most of the people in my life don't care for me?

Of course I don't think that.

Maybe I'm being ridiculous, but maybe your Aunt would like a little thank-you for that $20 she puts inside your card year after year.

"Busy" isn't an excuse I tend to throw out, therefore don't appreciate from others.

Am I the only one that has struggled with this?  Am I the only one that still loves snail mail and the feeling that comes from opening a little piece of something from someone, knowing they went a little out of their way/day just for me?

I know my brother Mark feels this way, and Kevin's cousin Donna.  ♥ them.

I guess I feel sad for the loss of human effort.

WAIT.  It's not to say NOBODY remembers me and makes me feels special.  I do have wonderful people in my life that think of me and are fabulous.  I think I'm just realizing to put my efforts toward those people instead.

Enough of my vent...all I can do it control me and my own.  I intend to raise Nola with a strong sense of etiquette and empathy.  Hopefully it works out for me :)

And speaking of the little stinker, here's a few pictures of the last little while.


First camping trip of the season and SO many buttons to push!


Sharing some water with Lutz.


Tante Hedwig and me.  ♥


Big yawn!


Kisses from Mommy.


Pals.




Please feel free to comment.  I'm interested in your thoughts too.

Comments

  1. People seem to be in such a hurry now a days. I also am annoyed by the lack of manners. A simple thank you can go a long way. Many times when I have held a door open for someone they walk through without a peep. I often say you're welcome loudly to remind them lol.

    As for cards. I am jealous of those that can keep up with birthdays and sending cards. That's just something I have never been good at. Keep doing it because it does make that person feel special, and just because they haven't sent one back doesn't mean you are forgotten.

    Marny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had a friend a few years back...I really liked them, so I always sent them birthday cards, postcards that I thought they'd like, the occasional letter...and never got any peep out of them.

    One day, I confronted them about this, and I was told that they're just not the kind of person who responds to stuff like that, so I should stop expecting them to.

    So I stopped.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am totally a loud reminder when I hold a door for someone as well. Hmmm sometimes i get a little annoyed that I send out 75 Christmas cards, but get less than that back. I am a total selfish card sender, I send pictures of the m&m's mostly because I want people to see how cute I think they are :). I like to think that sending someone something makes them happy ( because I love to get snail mail) that's why I send it-to make them happy, that in turn makes me happy ;). I am totally going to encourage (that is my positive way of saying make) the m &m's to write thank you notes, it's polite.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Last Time You Said My Name

The last time you said my name was yesterday. I had no idea that would be the last time I heard you say Jeanette... It seems surreal to have already lost one of our parents. This evening, my husbands mother Suzanne, died of cancer. We found out she was sick on April 20th. She went to the hospital for what seemed to be gallbladder issues only to discover there was more. Suzanne chose to go home and process the information. She decided not to pursue treatment. 69 days later we have lost her. She was 67. As I have participated in this dying process, there have been many emotions. So many memories and thoughts surface. Suzanne and I didn't get along very well and that isn't a secret. We were very different women connected to a man we love(d) dearly. Although we had difficulty relating and often times irritated and annoyed each other, I am amazed at how it can all melt away at the end. The fights, misunderstandings, and even anger, is softened. Not forgotten, but the heart is

Calgary Visit @ 27 weeks

I think it's going to be a hold-your-breath kind of week. Baby girls heart beat was at about 53 today.  55 is the danger zone cut off.  It kind of stumped Kevin and I.  The ultrasound tech was super nice and, of course, they don't really know what sort of news they're giving us when they tell us the heart rate.  They don't know why we're there, but we went a little quiet when she said.  I wasn't really expecting that. Today Kevin and I decided to get a disc of pictures of our sweetheart.  She was having a party today while they were trying to take pictures, wiggling and bouncing. She's about 2 1/4 pounds. Her feet measure about 5.4 cm. So with the lower rate, the pediatric cardiologist (the amazing Dr. Fruitman) came into the room immediately to have a look for herself and we had the consult right away.  She asked me how things had been and I told her about this past week.  I took a hard fall on the ice with Nola in my arms and suffered a terrib