Skip to main content

A Real Scare & A Good Day

REAL SCARE

Last Friday it started.  Sarge became quite sick.  He obviously wasn't feeling himself and was lethargic and mopey.  Oh yeah, and that morning I woke up to multiple piles of concentrated evil all over the house.  Thank God for laminate.

This went on Saturday and Sunday too.  Kevin was out of town and it was just Nola and I to (wo)man the fort.  Sarge was progressively getting worse and by Monday morning he hadn't eaten or drank anything.  Worry really set in.  I made the decision to take Sarge to the Animal Emergency Services, cringing because it was holiday Monday...$$$.  Oh well, Sargie was sick.

We were seen by a fantastic veterinarian, who felt something in his stomach.  At first he thought it was a rock.  Blood work indicated it may be a tumor; didn't know if it was cancer or not.  Regardless, it sent us into a tail spin or questions and tears and phone calls.  Kevin came home as fast as he could, glad he could get relief quickly to enable him to come home.

Sarge had to have surgery and low and behold it was a bone.  A small knobby bone...  No cancer, he's fine.

About 2 weeks ago I took Sarge for his yearly checkup.  Our regular vet looked him over, updated his shots and told us to consider getting his teeth cleaned because he's not a chewer and they're getting dirty and he's getting old and it's...$450.  Kevin and I started talking about how we've never found anything he really like to chew.  I suggested going to the local pet food place and buying a natural bone for him to try.  A week ago Monday Kevin went and purchased a lamb bone for $3.40.  He brought it home and guess what?  Sarge LOVED it!  Devoured it.  4 days later...sick dog.

After a $1550.76 vet bill we were told to NEVER give our dog bones of any kind.  They are not meant to handle digesting bones and he's pulled bones out of esophagus's, intestines, stomachs and anal cavities...  Kind of an expensive lesson because we were reluctant to pay $450 for a teeth cleaning...

Live and learn?  Now we have our pooch back and he's sore and sleepy but happy and healthy.



GOOD DAY

Today Nola and I travelled to Sherwood Park.  Kevin's Aunt Linda is from Kansas (originally from Barrhead) and is up spending time with her Mother and sister.  Kevin couldn't join us but I decided to make the short trek up to visit her and have her meet my little monster :)

Ok, you know I love Nola with ALL my heart, but really?  All the tantrums and crazy whineyness are a little much for a 16 month old...ugh, I'm not sure I'm ready for what I'm in for :S

Anyway, we had a great visit as Linda is AMAZINGLY friendly and sweet and kind and funny and understanding.  She was also very patient with Miss Tornado.  It was good to get out of the house and have a hearty chat with a member of the Stogsdill Clan.  It's nice to catch up on all the chitty chat chat and ideas and thoughts and opinions of another family member.  Wish she lived closer--and the Unk Skip too.  I'm lucky to have become their family. ♥

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Last Time You Said My Name

The last time you said my name was yesterday. I had no idea that would be the last time I heard you say Jeanette... It seems surreal to have already lost one of our parents. This evening, my husbands mother Suzanne, died of cancer. We found out she was sick on April 20th. She went to the hospital for what seemed to be gallbladder issues only to discover there was more. Suzanne chose to go home and process the information. She decided not to pursue treatment. 69 days later we have lost her. She was 67. As I have participated in this dying process, there have been many emotions. So many memories and thoughts surface. Suzanne and I didn't get along very well and that isn't a secret. We were very different women connected to a man we love(d) dearly. Although we had difficulty relating and often times irritated and annoyed each other, I am amazed at how it can all melt away at the end. The fights, misunderstandings, and even anger, is softened. Not forgotten, but the heart is

Calgary Visit @ 27 weeks

I think it's going to be a hold-your-breath kind of week. Baby girls heart beat was at about 53 today.  55 is the danger zone cut off.  It kind of stumped Kevin and I.  The ultrasound tech was super nice and, of course, they don't really know what sort of news they're giving us when they tell us the heart rate.  They don't know why we're there, but we went a little quiet when she said.  I wasn't really expecting that. Today Kevin and I decided to get a disc of pictures of our sweetheart.  She was having a party today while they were trying to take pictures, wiggling and bouncing. She's about 2 1/4 pounds. Her feet measure about 5.4 cm. So with the lower rate, the pediatric cardiologist (the amazing Dr. Fruitman) came into the room immediately to have a look for herself and we had the consult right away.  She asked me how things had been and I told her about this past week.  I took a hard fall on the ice with Nola in my arms and suffered a terrib

Hard to say/show thank-you

It never ceases to amaze (and hurt) me just how difficult it is for people to say "thank-you". I realize it is the Age of Entitlement and everyday etiquette/courtesies are nearly unheard of, but I for one am getting sick of it.  And if you're close to me, you know I've been getting sick of it for quite some time! I have an uncanny ability to remember people's birthdays.  I don't find it hard to write it on the calendar I look at all the time.  I don't find it hard to snag a card while I'm on one of my quick shopping tours.  It's even easier to stick a stamp on it considering I keep a roll in the drawer, and there is a mail box on nearly every corner. I work hard to remember everyone with a Christmas card.  I don't find it too much to sit down for one hour and sign a bunch of cards with a little good will showing the people in my life that I think they're important and I wish the best for them. Funny enough, it doesn't come back