Skip to main content

The Last Time You Said My Name

The last time you said my name was yesterday. I had no idea that would be the last time I heard you say Jeanette...

It seems surreal to have already lost one of our parents. This evening, my husbands mother Suzanne, died of cancer.

We found out she was sick on April 20th. She went to the hospital for what seemed to be gallbladder issues only to discover there was more. Suzanne chose to go home and process the information. She decided not to pursue treatment. 69 days later we have lost her. She was 67.

As I have participated in this dying process, there have been many emotions. So many memories and thoughts surface. Suzanne and I didn't get along very well and that isn't a secret. We were very different women connected to a man we love(d) dearly. Although we had difficulty relating and often times irritated and annoyed each other, I am amazed at how it can all melt away at the end. The fights, misunderstandings, and even anger, is softened. Not forgotten, but the heart is truly softened. After all, I thought I had at least 20 more years of fighting with this woman... and now it just doesn't seem all that bad.

Aunt Linda put it best during her and Uncle Skips visit on Monday: "You coloured the world." Boy did Suzanne ever do that. I am definitely not a creative. Suzanne was a creative through and through, woven together with each fiber of her being. She deeply loved everything beautiful. She could create magic like no other. My children were beyond blessed to experience that. I discovered early on in their childhood that nobody could love them like she could. Of course all of our parents offer that same gift; they love their grandchildren so uniquely. Suzanne could create fantasy and stories, tea parties, fairies, art and beauty out of anything. Anything.

We haven't hidden one aspect of this process from our girls. They visited her nearly every day--definitely each day this last week. They watched her change and were free to ask questions. When Kevin called me to say Suzanne was gone, I took the girls to the hospice so we could be together. They realized the life was gone, the breaths had ceased and she was peaceful. We cried as a family. We will grieve together and be watchful. Thankfully we also have a fantastic support group around us to help us through this.

Tonight, Nola had an introductory riding lesson. Heidi was determined to come with me although our plan had been for her to go with Kevin to the hospice and sit with Suzanne. I had both girls at the stable and Kevin, alone, sat with his mother.

I believe Suzanne struggled with feelings of safety -- no details necessary -- but I can see there was no better time to let go then when she was with the one person in the world who likely made her feel the safest. Quietly, just the two of them sat. He held her hand and played her lullabies she used to sing to him. Kevin gently reassured her we would be alright and it was ok for her to let go. With the final message "143" (I love you), she released her final breath.

We are so sad for ourselves. Sad. Like, REALLY REALLY SAD. It's a woozy, sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. That feeling is followed by sporadic fits of crying. And then that might be followed with a terrible impersonation that makes us laugh. This is difficult to go through as the child, and even more boggling as a parent leading a child through the loss of a grandparent. I'm really sad for us. But I'm really relieved for Suzanne.

In the final days she begged to be in the arms of her Savior. She called for Jesus and mostly enjoyed familiar hymns. I was fortunate to experience some Amazing Grace with her after I heard her say my name for the last time. So, I am comforted knowing that she is in Heaven and I'm quite certain she is already busy giving others jobs to do, tidying, cleaning, sorting, folding a blanket or rearranging something. Farewell Suzanne. Until we meet again.

Comments

  1. Sending you guys so much love and strength Kevin and Jeanette. What a truly beautiful tribute to your mama-in-law Jeanette. Massive hugs and love. You guys are in my heart and thoughts. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. My condolescences to Kevin, you and the family on your loss! It is never easy to see someone you love pass on! Your words was truly breathtaking and made me shed some tears as it brought back memories of my mom being in hospice and letting go! Lots of love and hugs for you all during this time and know you have support from your oily family! ❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeanette, this is such a beautiful post. It is so true, grandparents are able to love each child so uniquely and so fiercely. And each loss is just heartbreaking. I'm so sorry for your family's loss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are so sad to hear this news. I remember a few conversations with you when you lived so close to us about Suzanne and of course we met her. A lovely free-spirited lady. As time goes on, all the wonderful memories will hopefully replace the tears now. Take Care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe thank you for reading Candace! Thank you for your kind words. We sure miss you guys.

      Delete
  5. Oh.... Hugs! So sorry to hear of your loss. Hugs hugs hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are such an amazing daughter-in-law. I love you even more after reading your sensitive, honest comments about the woman I once called my wife and the wonderful mother of my sons. Thank you for sharing. Suzanne is now at peace with her Creator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Calgary Visit @ 27 weeks

I think it's going to be a hold-your-breath kind of week. Baby girls heart beat was at about 53 today.  55 is the danger zone cut off.  It kind of stumped Kevin and I.  The ultrasound tech was super nice and, of course, they don't really know what sort of news they're giving us when they tell us the heart rate.  They don't know why we're there, but we went a little quiet when she said.  I wasn't really expecting that. Today Kevin and I decided to get a disc of pictures of our sweetheart.  She was having a party today while they were trying to take pictures, wiggling and bouncing. She's about 2 1/4 pounds. Her feet measure about 5.4 cm. So with the lower rate, the pediatric cardiologist (the amazing Dr. Fruitman) came into the room immediately to have a look for herself and we had the consult right away.  She asked me how things had been and I told her about this past week.  I took a hard fall on the ice with Nola in my arms and suffered a terrib

Hard to say/show thank-you

It never ceases to amaze (and hurt) me just how difficult it is for people to say "thank-you". I realize it is the Age of Entitlement and everyday etiquette/courtesies are nearly unheard of, but I for one am getting sick of it.  And if you're close to me, you know I've been getting sick of it for quite some time! I have an uncanny ability to remember people's birthdays.  I don't find it hard to write it on the calendar I look at all the time.  I don't find it hard to snag a card while I'm on one of my quick shopping tours.  It's even easier to stick a stamp on it considering I keep a roll in the drawer, and there is a mail box on nearly every corner. I work hard to remember everyone with a Christmas card.  I don't find it too much to sit down for one hour and sign a bunch of cards with a little good will showing the people in my life that I think they're important and I wish the best for them. Funny enough, it doesn't come back