Skip to main content

Shake the Dust Off

*shake the dust off*

Well, look who's here! It's me! Who knew?

It's been so long since I've done a blog post and I thought now is the perfect time to blow the dust off the ole computer keys and get reacquainted. I know a few of you may have followed some of my posts years ago, and many of you reading this will likely be new to me and who I am.

Let me reintroduce myself 🙋 I am Jeanette Macleod, of the Clan Macleod and yes, there can be only one. Give yourself a pat on the back if you got that 90's tv reference! Anywho, I'm in my late 30's 😨 and have two redheaded daughters. I'm happily married to Kevin since 2008 and we are beginning a pretty adventurous adventure...

As the story goes... before Christmas a good friend of mine texted the celebratory news that she was going to be GETTING MARRIED!! How cool is that?! THEN she asked if I would be a bridesmaid! Whoa Nettie! 37 years old and asked to be a bridesmaid?? I thought my ship had sailed, but I eagerly agreed! Then we started talking details. You see, Angie lives in Prince Edward Island, Canada. Kevin and I started discussing what this would ACTUALLY look like. Would it just be me? The whole clan? If all four of us were to go, we were looking at a $10,000 holiday. We also talked about driving and AirBNB.

Christmas came and went and as we were playing around with scenarios, Kevin looked at me and asked, "Why are we even here?" Uuuuhhhhhh. You see, I've homeschooled the girls for the last three years (and LOVE it) and our Young Living business has enabled us to both work from home (crazy awesome, right?). Nothing in particular has really been keeping us in Red Deer except our friends and the extracurricular things like dance and piano.

In February, we really started considering upgrading our truck and fifth wheel to something we could "full time" in. We prayed to God HARD about it and surrendered to Him that he would lay the path we were meant to take. We said, "God, open the doors if they're meant to be open and close the ones meant to be closed." Kevin put our bumper pull trailer on Kijiji one Sunday night; Monday evening it sold.

The next few months we focused on selling our older truck and looking for the upgrade. We also looked for a fifth wheel and spent a lot of time scouring used ads to find the perfect one for our family. Needless to say, it DID all fall into place. We've had a few curve balls and have spent way more money then we anticipated to get properly outfitted! After being on some Facebook communities a while now I've come to realize people prepare for something like this for 2+ years in advance; we are working on 5 months. Oops! 🙊

For the last few weeks everyone has been asking, "Are you excited for your trip?" Of course some people I humour them and simply say "Oh, yes!" but the reality is we aren't! Kevin said the other day, "It's hard to be excited when this isn't just a holiday. This is us living. I don't want to miss anything." And I agree with him. The details and lists and insurance and truck things and trailer things and and and are overwhelming and many. We have essentially decided to leave behind everything we know that is familiar and jump in with both feet. Sink or swim. It's scary. There are definitely parts to it that are exciting. What will we see? Learn? Discover? Who will we meet along the way? But for the most part we are focused on getting a job done in packing a house and making decisions of what stays and what goes.

The other thing to consider in this is that we are not going on a holiday. We will be living. It will be "normal" life in the fifth. We won't be having ice cream every night or amusement parks every weekend. We are still on a budget and school work will be done. Work will be done and meals planned and prepped. Bed times and laundry and all the things. We've been VERY consistent in talking to the girls about this. 😂

So here we are. Seven days to departure with a sea-can in our driveway, boxes all over our house and no free space on our kitchen table. There are things I look forward to and minimal living is one of them! The amount of CRAP we have acquired is almost embarrassing! The folks are looking after Sarge (dog) and Sykes (cat) and I look forward to a pet hair free zone! I don't look forward to leaving our friends and our church and routine. Please don't take this as a need to tell me how great everything is going to be. I already know that! It will be amazing and I promise you as soon as we cross the Alberta border we will be EXCITED! This is a wonderful opportunity and an exciting adventure for us, but there are hard parts too.

We would love to have you follow our adventures here, Facebook Jeanette Macleod or Instagram @macleods.on.the.move

Now look out North America... we're about to have some @macleods.on.the.move


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Last Time You Said My Name

The last time you said my name was yesterday. I had no idea that would be the last time I heard you say Jeanette... It seems surreal to have already lost one of our parents. This evening, my husbands mother Suzanne, died of cancer. We found out she was sick on April 20th. She went to the hospital for what seemed to be gallbladder issues only to discover there was more. Suzanne chose to go home and process the information. She decided not to pursue treatment. 69 days later we have lost her. She was 67. As I have participated in this dying process, there have been many emotions. So many memories and thoughts surface. Suzanne and I didn't get along very well and that isn't a secret. We were very different women connected to a man we love(d) dearly. Although we had difficulty relating and often times irritated and annoyed each other, I am amazed at how it can all melt away at the end. The fights, misunderstandings, and even anger, is softened. Not forgotten, but the heart is

Calgary Visit @ 27 weeks

I think it's going to be a hold-your-breath kind of week. Baby girls heart beat was at about 53 today.  55 is the danger zone cut off.  It kind of stumped Kevin and I.  The ultrasound tech was super nice and, of course, they don't really know what sort of news they're giving us when they tell us the heart rate.  They don't know why we're there, but we went a little quiet when she said.  I wasn't really expecting that. Today Kevin and I decided to get a disc of pictures of our sweetheart.  She was having a party today while they were trying to take pictures, wiggling and bouncing. She's about 2 1/4 pounds. Her feet measure about 5.4 cm. So with the lower rate, the pediatric cardiologist (the amazing Dr. Fruitman) came into the room immediately to have a look for herself and we had the consult right away.  She asked me how things had been and I told her about this past week.  I took a hard fall on the ice with Nola in my arms and suffered a terrib

Hard to say/show thank-you

It never ceases to amaze (and hurt) me just how difficult it is for people to say "thank-you". I realize it is the Age of Entitlement and everyday etiquette/courtesies are nearly unheard of, but I for one am getting sick of it.  And if you're close to me, you know I've been getting sick of it for quite some time! I have an uncanny ability to remember people's birthdays.  I don't find it hard to write it on the calendar I look at all the time.  I don't find it hard to snag a card while I'm on one of my quick shopping tours.  It's even easier to stick a stamp on it considering I keep a roll in the drawer, and there is a mail box on nearly every corner. I work hard to remember everyone with a Christmas card.  I don't find it too much to sit down for one hour and sign a bunch of cards with a little good will showing the people in my life that I think they're important and I wish the best for them. Funny enough, it doesn't come back