Skip to main content

Calgary Visit @ 23 weeks

First appointment was at 10:30 this morning, which is a nice enough time to get up regularly in the morning, have Nola to day home and get down just slightly after rush hour.

The wonderful Dr. Fruitman was first of the two appointments.  Familiarity is kicking in and Kevin and I have all the parking lots scoped out and priced as well as the shortest ways through the winding corridors and passage ways.

We got in reasonably on time (which isn't a common occurrence) and went to see the Perinatology nurse.  She asks me all the questions she should already have the answers to, like what meds I'm on and doses and my medical history...frustrating.  I wonder how many times and to how many doctors I've had to repeat this to??  Then she takes my blood pressure.  100/50, I'm sure about the same rate as Mary Poppins, it's always practically perfect.

Back to the waiting room and a few minutes later a very nice young lady sonographer calls my name and leads us back to the dim little room with the machine that sees my baby.  It was a quick ultrasound today.  She measured everything and told us our girls heart rate measured around 57/58 steadily.  Good news!  Then we were informed Dr. Fruitman herself wanted to come and do part of the ultrasound to see the baby for herself in real time.  She's truly an awesome doctor.

Everything looked great today.  The baby is weighing over 500 grams they figure, she was moving a lot while they were poking and proding her, and everything about her growth is normal.

Afterward, we met with Dr. Fruitman and her collegue to go over in more detail what we were seeing.  Still a great report, the only teeny tiny little consideration is brightness on the heart.  The doctor said that she wasn't sure what this was indicating but wanted to confer with her collegues in Edmonton and Toronto about this.  She said sometimes what she has understood is if there is progressive brightness on the heart from ultrasound to ultrasound it could indicate weakening of the muscle...  Now this would be curbed by a medication that is widely used to treat many things called IVIG (Intra Venous Immunoglobulin).  The only downfall to this drug is for me.  It would require a full day every other week to slowly put the med into my system through intra venous.  Small price to pay to help my beautiful baby!

And that isn't even confirmed.  In fact, when we got home there was a message on our phone from Dr. Fruitman telling us that she had already been in contact with her colleagues and everything is great and wonderful and nothing will change right now.  I will call her sometime tomorrow to speak with her.

Once that appointment was done we raced to another building to see the Obstetrician.  Quick appointment.  Yup, I feel great.  Yup, baby looks good.  Yup, Dr. Fruitman was happy.  Yup, my blood pressure is awesome.  Yup, no pre eclampsia.  Yup, we understand everything.  Goodbye.

Home in time to pick Nola up from day home at a reasonable hour, have supper, relax and blog about it :)

The baby has been moving a lot the last couple days.  I can't tell you how much enjoyment that has brought just knowing this little girl has the umph to give me and kick from time to time.  The baby kicked so hard Monday morning Kevin was lucky enough to feel it!  It's nice to feel and definitely reassuring.

I'm ready to start being excited about the baby again.  It's difficult and often painful to have no idea of the outcome, but it is what it is and I realize that.  All heart and health aside, I'm growing a baby.  And she's doing ok so far.  No, not ideal, but ok.  She's learning how to breath and flex and she's yawns.  I'm growing my baby.  I'm ready to think of more names and look at clothes and wonder who she'll be.  I'm excited I'll have a beautiful tiny little peanut to hold in my arms again, and a sister for Nola.


I have been positive, but now I'm moving into a different realm of positive.  I'm harnessing this situation, and as I've said before: I expect the best.

Steady as she goes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Last Time You Said My Name

The last time you said my name was yesterday. I had no idea that would be the last time I heard you say Jeanette... It seems surreal to have already lost one of our parents. This evening, my husbands mother Suzanne, died of cancer. We found out she was sick on April 20th. She went to the hospital for what seemed to be gallbladder issues only to discover there was more. Suzanne chose to go home and process the information. She decided not to pursue treatment. 69 days later we have lost her. She was 67. As I have participated in this dying process, there have been many emotions. So many memories and thoughts surface. Suzanne and I didn't get along very well and that isn't a secret. We were very different women connected to a man we love(d) dearly. Although we had difficulty relating and often times irritated and annoyed each other, I am amazed at how it can all melt away at the end. The fights, misunderstandings, and even anger, is softened. Not forgotten, but the heart is

Calgary Visit @ 27 weeks

I think it's going to be a hold-your-breath kind of week. Baby girls heart beat was at about 53 today.  55 is the danger zone cut off.  It kind of stumped Kevin and I.  The ultrasound tech was super nice and, of course, they don't really know what sort of news they're giving us when they tell us the heart rate.  They don't know why we're there, but we went a little quiet when she said.  I wasn't really expecting that. Today Kevin and I decided to get a disc of pictures of our sweetheart.  She was having a party today while they were trying to take pictures, wiggling and bouncing. She's about 2 1/4 pounds. Her feet measure about 5.4 cm. So with the lower rate, the pediatric cardiologist (the amazing Dr. Fruitman) came into the room immediately to have a look for herself and we had the consult right away.  She asked me how things had been and I told her about this past week.  I took a hard fall on the ice with Nola in my arms and suffered a terrib

Hard to say/show thank-you

It never ceases to amaze (and hurt) me just how difficult it is for people to say "thank-you". I realize it is the Age of Entitlement and everyday etiquette/courtesies are nearly unheard of, but I for one am getting sick of it.  And if you're close to me, you know I've been getting sick of it for quite some time! I have an uncanny ability to remember people's birthdays.  I don't find it hard to write it on the calendar I look at all the time.  I don't find it hard to snag a card while I'm on one of my quick shopping tours.  It's even easier to stick a stamp on it considering I keep a roll in the drawer, and there is a mail box on nearly every corner. I work hard to remember everyone with a Christmas card.  I don't find it too much to sit down for one hour and sign a bunch of cards with a little good will showing the people in my life that I think they're important and I wish the best for them. Funny enough, it doesn't come back