Skip to main content

Calgary Visit @ 28 weeks

Hard to believe I'm already at 28 weeks and 2 days.  I'm actually beginning to feel a little sad that it's passing SO fast.  Upon learning of baby girl's heart problem, there was the little panic to "make it" to 32 weeks, but now I'm sad that the "count" has resulted in a speedier pregnancy :(  I enjoyed being pregnant with Nola so much and the time seemed to pass just right.  I realize there are other reasons for it passing faster this time...like dealing with a toddler--that's a bit busy, not to mention the plethora of doctors appointments and play dates that keep life forever busier.

Kevin and I got to Calgary just in time to make it to his favourite East Indian restaurant for lunch.  Moti Mahal is on 17th street I think, and today we made the time to indulge in some fine cuisine.  Baby girl seemed to enjoy the butter chicken and mango lassi!

Afterward we went to the Foothills for our appointment.  First I see a Perinatology Nurse who takes my blood pressure.  Today I was 110/55, but can you believe for 3 weeks straight my blood pressure was 100/50?  Crazy.

Then the ultrasound.  Baby girls heart was still beating at 53, which kind of bugs me.  She moves a lot; way more than Nola did and her growth is now in the 70th percentile.  They figure she's about 2 lbs 12 oz.  So things look great in every other way.  Even though the doctor was firm that 55 was the cutoff point, she isn't worried because nothing is changing in her condition, her heart muscles are strong, and she's remaining steady.  I guess if they aren't worried, I shouldn't be either...but she's MY baby <3

Anyway, early this morning, before we even left Red Deer I got a call on my cell from Edmonton.  I had a wonderful conversation with a lady named Lori who informed me that we have a 2 day appointment in Edmonton on February 16 &17.  Kevin and I will go to the U of A and Royal Alexandra hospitals for tours and ultrasounds and then video conference meetings with various doctors to walk us through everything we should expect and do when the time comes to welcome baby girl into the world.  I suspect they will also set her birthday then too.  We will meet with a different team of cardiologist, perinatologist, obstetrician and neonatologist who will know all the ins and outs.

It seems a little daunting but am grateful for the amount of comprehensive care we are receiving.  It feels good to be in such capable hands.  I know after these meetings we will have all the answers we need and a clearer vision of the future.

Some of my friends have been questioning and I will clarify regarding the "32 week" thing.  If we were running in to complications and difficulty with the baby's viability in utero, they would be removing the baby at 32 weeks.  Since things have been going as well as they have, the doctors DO plan to have me carry the baby as far as possible to ensure a healthier child.  That, also, is within reason.  Since they would prefer a c-section to control the outcome better, they would not want me to go TOO far in case I go in to labour on my own.  The obstetrician I have now in Calgary figures 36 weeks would be a good number.

All that considered, with how good baby girl IS doing we could quite possibly have our baby the second or third week of March.  Hopefully nothing will change and we can stay the course.

Mmm, pancake!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Last Time You Said My Name

The last time you said my name was yesterday. I had no idea that would be the last time I heard you say Jeanette... It seems surreal to have already lost one of our parents. This evening, my husbands mother Suzanne, died of cancer. We found out she was sick on April 20th. She went to the hospital for what seemed to be gallbladder issues only to discover there was more. Suzanne chose to go home and process the information. She decided not to pursue treatment. 69 days later we have lost her. She was 67. As I have participated in this dying process, there have been many emotions. So many memories and thoughts surface. Suzanne and I didn't get along very well and that isn't a secret. We were very different women connected to a man we love(d) dearly. Although we had difficulty relating and often times irritated and annoyed each other, I am amazed at how it can all melt away at the end. The fights, misunderstandings, and even anger, is softened. Not forgotten, but the heart is

Calgary Visit @ 27 weeks

I think it's going to be a hold-your-breath kind of week. Baby girls heart beat was at about 53 today.  55 is the danger zone cut off.  It kind of stumped Kevin and I.  The ultrasound tech was super nice and, of course, they don't really know what sort of news they're giving us when they tell us the heart rate.  They don't know why we're there, but we went a little quiet when she said.  I wasn't really expecting that. Today Kevin and I decided to get a disc of pictures of our sweetheart.  She was having a party today while they were trying to take pictures, wiggling and bouncing. She's about 2 1/4 pounds. Her feet measure about 5.4 cm. So with the lower rate, the pediatric cardiologist (the amazing Dr. Fruitman) came into the room immediately to have a look for herself and we had the consult right away.  She asked me how things had been and I told her about this past week.  I took a hard fall on the ice with Nola in my arms and suffered a terrib

Hard to say/show thank-you

It never ceases to amaze (and hurt) me just how difficult it is for people to say "thank-you". I realize it is the Age of Entitlement and everyday etiquette/courtesies are nearly unheard of, but I for one am getting sick of it.  And if you're close to me, you know I've been getting sick of it for quite some time! I have an uncanny ability to remember people's birthdays.  I don't find it hard to write it on the calendar I look at all the time.  I don't find it hard to snag a card while I'm on one of my quick shopping tours.  It's even easier to stick a stamp on it considering I keep a roll in the drawer, and there is a mail box on nearly every corner. I work hard to remember everyone with a Christmas card.  I don't find it too much to sit down for one hour and sign a bunch of cards with a little good will showing the people in my life that I think they're important and I wish the best for them. Funny enough, it doesn't come back