Skip to main content

35 weeks

What a long day I had yesterday!  I was thankful nobody came with me, so as not to put them through that kind of waiting all for me.  I was fortunate enough to make some real progress on my crocheting, so I was mostly ok with the wait.

I had my appointment in Edmonton for 1:15 pm to see the Obstetrician who will deliver LG.  I got there about a half hour early, picked up a sandwich from the little store, found the office and took my seat.  I figured I was in for a wait and wasn’t surprised that the line seemed to be moving very slowly.

After waiting about 2 hours some chatter started happening in the waiting room.  The lady sitting closest to me had just come back from the bathroom and mentioned, “Dr. Wong isn’t even here.”

Huh?

So naturally I repeated her comment a little louder and others were like, what?!?

The nurse soon came in to explain he’d been called over to the Royal Alex for an emergency C-Section and they’d be happy to reschedule anyone who couldn’t wait.  It was already 3:30 pm by this time and I was devoted.  So were the other two couples who came all the way from Slave Lake.

It only took another hour for me to actually get in to a room and finally meet the doctor.  Billy Rae Wong.  He is a very nice fellow, somewhere in his 30’s.  He speaks quietly and quickly but with confidence and knowledge.  I liked him.

We started talking about dates and his records from the Perinatology Clinic stated that they wanted me delivered between March 20 and 26.  We looked at the calendar together and he said, “I can deliver you on the 20th or the 22nd.  Which would you prefer?”

I totally took the 20th!  Not only is that the first day of spring, but it’s my Godmother’s birthday (Aunt Babette).  How cool is that?

We talked about Nola’s pregnancy and delivery and that she was a little baby, only 6 lbs 7 oz.  He and I agreed this baby will be quite small also.  I just don’t grow BIG babies.  He measured my uterus and at 35 weeks I’m only measuring at 32.  He said this isn’t a problem, and I know my dates.  It’s not that we’re behind, it’s just that we are both small.  Funny.  Kevin said last night, we’re both stretched to capacity and capacity is small.

Even though she’s small, she is seemingly ready to make an entrance to the world.  I was early with Nola and Dr. Wong said he has no doubt I would be early with this one too.  He measured my cervix and I’m already dilated to about 2 cm.  Not to mention she is so crazy low…he said he could feel “she’s right there.”  Yikes!

Relocation to Edmonton happens next Monday March 12th.  Appointments and ultrasounds to follow on Tuesday and Wednesday…  Hopefully a play date with an old friend Thursday or Friday…  Then new Cappis/Macleod DNA to enter the world March 20th.

Nola will stay with me at the Ronald McDonald house the week before, and then be juggled around to family during recovery.  My goal (and hope) is to be home by March 30th ish.  From the sounds of the doctors, that would be a reasonable amount of recovery time.

I left the appointment feeling good, albeit later than I was hoping.  It had been blizzarding most of the day and the radio said the roads were terrible, especially closer to Red Deer.  After a quick bite of crappy A & W I hit the road, just LG and me to get home to our two favourite people.  I would say from Edmonton to Lacombe the roads were about 65% ok.  I did about 100 km/hr.  By Blackfalds I was going 80 km/hr.  By Red Deer…40 km/hr.

Now to tie up loose ends and finish stocking the house.

Can’t believe my teeny weeny baby will be here in 14 days.

And by the way, LG is still doing amazing.  It feels like she's tangling my insides up with all her moving and her heart was heard between 54-58 yesterday :)

Thanks for reading!

35 weeks


Everybody watching Daddy snowblow this morning.

This is what happens when you ask Daddy for a drink...

Comments

  1. Yeah! Such great news! Glad to hear you guys have a date, and things are moving along :) Maternity pics on Sunday?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Last Time You Said My Name

The last time you said my name was yesterday. I had no idea that would be the last time I heard you say Jeanette... It seems surreal to have already lost one of our parents. This evening, my husbands mother Suzanne, died of cancer. We found out she was sick on April 20th. She went to the hospital for what seemed to be gallbladder issues only to discover there was more. Suzanne chose to go home and process the information. She decided not to pursue treatment. 69 days later we have lost her. She was 67. As I have participated in this dying process, there have been many emotions. So many memories and thoughts surface. Suzanne and I didn't get along very well and that isn't a secret. We were very different women connected to a man we love(d) dearly. Although we had difficulty relating and often times irritated and annoyed each other, I am amazed at how it can all melt away at the end. The fights, misunderstandings, and even anger, is softened. Not forgotten, but the heart is

Calgary Visit @ 27 weeks

I think it's going to be a hold-your-breath kind of week. Baby girls heart beat was at about 53 today.  55 is the danger zone cut off.  It kind of stumped Kevin and I.  The ultrasound tech was super nice and, of course, they don't really know what sort of news they're giving us when they tell us the heart rate.  They don't know why we're there, but we went a little quiet when she said.  I wasn't really expecting that. Today Kevin and I decided to get a disc of pictures of our sweetheart.  She was having a party today while they were trying to take pictures, wiggling and bouncing. She's about 2 1/4 pounds. Her feet measure about 5.4 cm. So with the lower rate, the pediatric cardiologist (the amazing Dr. Fruitman) came into the room immediately to have a look for herself and we had the consult right away.  She asked me how things had been and I told her about this past week.  I took a hard fall on the ice with Nola in my arms and suffered a terrib

Hard to say/show thank-you

It never ceases to amaze (and hurt) me just how difficult it is for people to say "thank-you". I realize it is the Age of Entitlement and everyday etiquette/courtesies are nearly unheard of, but I for one am getting sick of it.  And if you're close to me, you know I've been getting sick of it for quite some time! I have an uncanny ability to remember people's birthdays.  I don't find it hard to write it on the calendar I look at all the time.  I don't find it hard to snag a card while I'm on one of my quick shopping tours.  It's even easier to stick a stamp on it considering I keep a roll in the drawer, and there is a mail box on nearly every corner. I work hard to remember everyone with a Christmas card.  I don't find it too much to sit down for one hour and sign a bunch of cards with a little good will showing the people in my life that I think they're important and I wish the best for them. Funny enough, it doesn't come back