Skip to main content

Part 1: Relocating and a Delivery

Finally I get an opportunity to sit down and satisfy my need to blog!


I thought it would be best if I broke the "story" in to parts to keep my brain focused, and possibly make it easier for everyone to follow along :)

Monday March 12 was the big day I was relocating to Edmonton in preparation for the delivery of our second daughter.  Most everything was packed the night before, so in the morning Nola and I puttered away at loading the car with all sorts of bags, toys and supplies.  By 1 o'clock we were on the road to Entwistle, where Nola was supposed to be until Thursday when my appointments were done and I could keep her with me until the actual cesarean.

I dropped Nola off and let her settle in at Mom and Dad's and then headed for the city to find the Ronald McDonald House.  Like a true out-of-towner, I had my map in my hand and distractedly maneuvered my way through rush house Edmonton traffic to find my parking spot in front of the House.

I got my little tour and key and took my things upstairs.  I looked at the directions I was supposed to take the next morning to get to my ultrasound and for my appointments on Wednesday.  After talking to my husband, who was staying the night in Whitecourt after doing a job, I went to bed.

I found the bed hard and uncomfortable and ended up tossing and turning most of the night.  I rolled over and looked at the clock around 4 am... About 5 minutes later I jumped out of bed as fast as I could to my water breaking!  This was NOT supposed to be happening!  I was 36 weeks + 1 day and my section was supposed to be NEXT week.

Standing beside the bed, my mind was racing.  What was the first thing to do?  Clean up, of course.  And after I got myself situated I grabbed the phone and called Kevin.  After his groggy "hello" I said, "You'll never guess what just happened."

From there, I started packing the bag I had unpacked the night before and Kevin collected himself and started the drive to Edmonton.  I headed over to the Royal Alexandra Hospital and arrived there by about 5 am.  They admitted me right away and got my file together and hooked me up to all sorts of machines to monitor me.  By 6:30 am Kevin was in the room with me.

They didn't consider me an emergency per se, but I was definitely a section that needed to be priority.  We waited and heard of a few people that needed to go first, and then of others who we were bumping.  The U of A also needed to coordinate their transport team to be available for our newborn at the Royal Alex upon delivery.

Once everything was set, I walked in to the operating room and got my spinal.  Nearly instantly, I began to lose feeling in my lower half.  The doctors and nurses prepped me up and got me ready, and just before they began they brought Kevin in to be with me.

The section didn't take long and at 1:10 pm they scooped a little grey-blue girl passed me for a quick look and whisked her to a back room where her Daddy and eight others hovered around her to check things over. 

While I was being stitched back together Kevin came back in to the room to tell me about how cute she is and the things they were doing.  Then he went back to her.

It sucked.

I didn't hold her, or touch her.  I barely saw her.  And all I could do was lay there with a big stupid sheet in my face.  When I was taken in to the recovery room I could barely move and didn't really know what was going on.  Finally, Kevin came in to fill me in on a few other things and they wheeled her incubator gurney in beside me so I could have another look at her.

Then they wheeled her away.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Last Time You Said My Name

The last time you said my name was yesterday. I had no idea that would be the last time I heard you say Jeanette... It seems surreal to have already lost one of our parents. This evening, my husbands mother Suzanne, died of cancer. We found out she was sick on April 20th. She went to the hospital for what seemed to be gallbladder issues only to discover there was more. Suzanne chose to go home and process the information. She decided not to pursue treatment. 69 days later we have lost her. She was 67. As I have participated in this dying process, there have been many emotions. So many memories and thoughts surface. Suzanne and I didn't get along very well and that isn't a secret. We were very different women connected to a man we love(d) dearly. Although we had difficulty relating and often times irritated and annoyed each other, I am amazed at how it can all melt away at the end. The fights, misunderstandings, and even anger, is softened. Not forgotten, but the heart is

Calgary Visit @ 27 weeks

I think it's going to be a hold-your-breath kind of week. Baby girls heart beat was at about 53 today.  55 is the danger zone cut off.  It kind of stumped Kevin and I.  The ultrasound tech was super nice and, of course, they don't really know what sort of news they're giving us when they tell us the heart rate.  They don't know why we're there, but we went a little quiet when she said.  I wasn't really expecting that. Today Kevin and I decided to get a disc of pictures of our sweetheart.  She was having a party today while they were trying to take pictures, wiggling and bouncing. She's about 2 1/4 pounds. Her feet measure about 5.4 cm. So with the lower rate, the pediatric cardiologist (the amazing Dr. Fruitman) came into the room immediately to have a look for herself and we had the consult right away.  She asked me how things had been and I told her about this past week.  I took a hard fall on the ice with Nola in my arms and suffered a terrib

Hard to say/show thank-you

It never ceases to amaze (and hurt) me just how difficult it is for people to say "thank-you". I realize it is the Age of Entitlement and everyday etiquette/courtesies are nearly unheard of, but I for one am getting sick of it.  And if you're close to me, you know I've been getting sick of it for quite some time! I have an uncanny ability to remember people's birthdays.  I don't find it hard to write it on the calendar I look at all the time.  I don't find it hard to snag a card while I'm on one of my quick shopping tours.  It's even easier to stick a stamp on it considering I keep a roll in the drawer, and there is a mail box on nearly every corner. I work hard to remember everyone with a Christmas card.  I don't find it too much to sit down for one hour and sign a bunch of cards with a little good will showing the people in my life that I think they're important and I wish the best for them. Funny enough, it doesn't come back