Skip to main content

Chubbier Cheeks


Finally I’m able to sit down at the computer for a few minutes!  Everyone told me it would be busier with two and they weren’t kidding!  Love it though.

Things have been good in the little life of this family Macleod.

Heidi has been gaining weight and getting chubbier cheeks (which are adorable).  I think I mentioned in my last blog the rigmarole of formulas…  First she drank breast milk, then Enfamil, Enfamil Soy, Nutramigen, goat milk and currently Alimentum.  You may think I’m terrible for changing so many times of the delicate little system but when I was told she was colicky, I couldn’t bear to watch her in distress.  I wanted to fix the problem and when I put her on goat milk it did.  She was a new baby; happy and content without abdominal issues.  After speaking with the doctor and pediatrician who were against it, I spoke to a nutritionist who was able to answer some questions regarding why her system is too immature yet.  I was told that although goat milk has smaller proteins making it easier to digest, it still has a high level of proteins.  This can be very hard on a baby’s kidneys, causing the kidneys to not develop properly or have deficiencies later.  Also, goat milk does not have iron or folic acid which can cause deficiencies or anemia.  It also lacks vitamin B6, B12, C and D and we would be hard pressed to find a multivitamin that would supplement enough at this age.  That being said, goat milk is very good for you beyond the 8 and 9 month mark.  Interestingly, it doesn’t carry an enzyme (I think it’s an enzyme anyway) that won’t leave that mucousy slime in the back of your throat like cow’s milk (making it much nicer to drink.  I also challenge you to taste a difference. 



The Alimentum seems to have made a difference for Heidi-mouse and she no longer has tummy trouble.  She is much more content, but is still much fussier than Nola ever was!  She sleeps well at night and sometimes if I’m lucky I’ll get a 4.5 hour stretch!  She is expressive and demanding.  She is wonderful.

Nola is also wonderful.  She continues to make us laugh countless times a day with her goofy yet thoughtful antics.  She is enjoying the good weather and we are enjoying the fenced yard.  I’m grateful she plays so well by herself—well, I guess she isn’t alone; Sarge follows her around faithfully and she giggles the entire time.  Her vocabulary is increasing daily and she uses her manners nearly every time without prompting!  She treats Heidi very delicately and kindly, tucking her in when needed or stroking her forehead when she cries.  She loves popcorn for a bedtime snack, Toopy and Binoo is her program of choice and blankie is her number one go-to.  Hoping to start potty training soon…




Kevin has been home every night lately as things have slowed considerably since break up.  This is quite typical for his job.  I’m thankful that he is able to be home to help so much with Heidi being so little.  Nola is a huge fan of her Daddy too and enjoys the amazing play time he gives her.  Soon Kevin hopes to drywall the garage and we can begin some serious organization we weren’t able to do when we moved in (too cold!).  The motor home is now in our backyard and he wants to get the generator for it repaired before we go out but it’s proving difficult to find someone who wants to try.  Besides regular lawn work, house clean up and family stuff he’s usually found enjoying the deck or the hot tub J



As for myself, I keep myself busy with play dates with friends and little projects around the house.  I still visit Oma every Thursday and we go out when she needs.  Opa is doing well in the nursing facility and Oma visits him every other day ♥ Today I had an appointment with my Rheumatologist and things are going great in regards to my health.  Lupus has been kept in remission and I’ve had no trouble with arthritis; he even gave me a hug before I left, awe.  Yesterday I drove to Lacombe and purchased a bike for Nola.  It’s called a Strider and it doesn’t have any pedals.  I was determined to get her a bike like this after I saw a few other kids ripping around on them.  Apparently it teaches them balance and they can go straight to pedals without training wheels.  It’s pretty cool and although it’ll take her time to figure it out I’m excited to see her progress with it.



Today, my parents came from Entwistle to see Oma.  We were able to get together for lunch at her retirement lodge with them as well as my cousin Melody and her husband Darcy.  They had a handsome little boy, Tobin, just three weeks before Nola.  It was a nice day and tomorrow, Mother’s Day, I will have some quiet time with my little family and be cooked a nice little lobster dinner by my amazing husband.  Life is good.

Before I sign off with this installment of Macleod Momentum, I want to mention that I am REALLY thankful for the opportunity to blog.  It has been brought to my attention a few times the awesome silent connection I’ve been able to have with others.  It is silent because I don’t know exactly who is reading this but it enables us to connect on some kind of secret level.  Whether it’s my Aunt Donna in Arizona reading it, or my (Aunt) Kim, Trisha from elementary, cousin Amber, Amanda Wowk (I can’t spell your married name, lol), Anne Kennedy… or Shauna Lee or Shannon (S) who my heart often wishes to spend more time with and YOU who is reading this, this is a very interesting way to be together, connected, involved.

If you made time to read this, thank you. 

All the best!

For videos of our family check out: http://www.youtube.com/user/KJMacs08

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Last Time You Said My Name

The last time you said my name was yesterday. I had no idea that would be the last time I heard you say Jeanette... It seems surreal to have already lost one of our parents. This evening, my husbands mother Suzanne, died of cancer. We found out she was sick on April 20th. She went to the hospital for what seemed to be gallbladder issues only to discover there was more. Suzanne chose to go home and process the information. She decided not to pursue treatment. 69 days later we have lost her. She was 67. As I have participated in this dying process, there have been many emotions. So many memories and thoughts surface. Suzanne and I didn't get along very well and that isn't a secret. We were very different women connected to a man we love(d) dearly. Although we had difficulty relating and often times irritated and annoyed each other, I am amazed at how it can all melt away at the end. The fights, misunderstandings, and even anger, is softened. Not forgotten, but the heart is

Calgary Visit @ 27 weeks

I think it's going to be a hold-your-breath kind of week. Baby girls heart beat was at about 53 today.  55 is the danger zone cut off.  It kind of stumped Kevin and I.  The ultrasound tech was super nice and, of course, they don't really know what sort of news they're giving us when they tell us the heart rate.  They don't know why we're there, but we went a little quiet when she said.  I wasn't really expecting that. Today Kevin and I decided to get a disc of pictures of our sweetheart.  She was having a party today while they were trying to take pictures, wiggling and bouncing. She's about 2 1/4 pounds. Her feet measure about 5.4 cm. So with the lower rate, the pediatric cardiologist (the amazing Dr. Fruitman) came into the room immediately to have a look for herself and we had the consult right away.  She asked me how things had been and I told her about this past week.  I took a hard fall on the ice with Nola in my arms and suffered a terrib

Hard to say/show thank-you

It never ceases to amaze (and hurt) me just how difficult it is for people to say "thank-you". I realize it is the Age of Entitlement and everyday etiquette/courtesies are nearly unheard of, but I for one am getting sick of it.  And if you're close to me, you know I've been getting sick of it for quite some time! I have an uncanny ability to remember people's birthdays.  I don't find it hard to write it on the calendar I look at all the time.  I don't find it hard to snag a card while I'm on one of my quick shopping tours.  It's even easier to stick a stamp on it considering I keep a roll in the drawer, and there is a mail box on nearly every corner. I work hard to remember everyone with a Christmas card.  I don't find it too much to sit down for one hour and sign a bunch of cards with a little good will showing the people in my life that I think they're important and I wish the best for them. Funny enough, it doesn't come back